Saturday, December 29, 2007

EDM # 148 Draw something soothing


Okay, I was feeling really creative today. So,
I went back one more weekly challenge and
tried this. I started with charcoal pencil and
ended up adding chalk pastels to it. The
picture in black and white didn't do it
justice, so I added the colors of the candle
holder. This is my first attempt at using
pastels so I hope you like it. Let me know
what you all think. I had a really hard
time with the lighting. I am not sure how
to make the lighting form the burning flame
realistic and the shadowing it creates.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Barb

2 comments:

Bonny said...

Barbara, I really love the drawing of your lamp. It looks like it really would be soothing on a cold, winter night.

With pastel pencils and chalk pencils, you could try using them on coloured paper like Mi-Teints or paper meant for pastels. The colours would stand out better than on the white sketch book. But it's lovely!

Happy New Year!

artsybarby said...

Bonny,
Thanks for the tip and for your nice comments. It was my first attempt at pastels and I will look into getting the proper tools for using them. Thats what I like about this group, you are able to learn and improve yourself.
Thanks again,
Barbara